While our rear veranda, a project that started in 2016, is still unfinished and requiring something to fix the woeful floor, our forgotten front veranda became in need of far more urgent attention. After returning from our weekend away and venturing onto the veranda, the floor almost gave way in some spots, clearly informing me that it was time to do something about this hidden mess. I was already aware that some of the joists were partly rotten, but it wasn’t until I removed a number of the floor boards that the true extent of the damage became evident. There was no doubt that this was a bigger task than what I could fix on my own, so I enlisted the aid of a builder who had just completed similar work on my neighbour’s house. I’m very glad that I did.